Sunless Tanning Frequently Asked Questions
Pre Tanning Preparation
- Avoid using other self-tanning products at least 4 days before treatment.
- Avoid waxing or shaving at least 24 hours before treatment as open pores collect the tanning solution.
- Ensure you have thoroughly exfoliated, paying attention to your elbows, knees and the backs of the heels, also the hands.
- Use plenty of moisturiser the day before coming in for your tan to make sure the skin is nicely hydrated.
- Wear loose dark clothing for your tan, and some loose fitting shoes, open toe sandals or flip flops are preferable as not to disturb the tan. Be advised that the tanning guide colour can stain nylon or wool.
- Avoid wearing aftershave, deodorant or any other products on the day of your tan as these can affect the treatment, so make sure you shower before you come to the salon for your tan.
- You will be provided with a pair of disposable briefs and sticky feet to stop the tanning solution sticking to soles of your feet. Please feel free to wear your own underwear if that if preferable to you.
Q. So, sunless tanning… What is it and how exactly does it work?
A. Sunless tanning products are centered around an active ingredient called Dihydroxyacetone (commonly known as DHA) to your skin.
DHA is a sugar (without colour) that interacts directly with the proteins and amino acids in the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis, to produce a gorgeous golden brown colour.
When applying your sunless tan, a tanning product containing a lightly coloured solution of DHA will be applied all over the body, before being showered off when your actual tan has developed.
Q. Importantly, is it safe?
A. Spray tanning and fake tanning are MUCH safer than revealing your skin to the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. It may not last as long, but you still get a great ‘healthy-looking’ tan.
Remember, with a sunless tan there is no risk of sunburn, peeling, sunstroke or, more importantly, long-term skin diseases and problems.
Q. How long does the tan take to develop?
A. The tanning solution takes between 8-12 hours to develop properly. After 12 hours the tan reaches a plateau so it won’t continue to develop. We recommend that you have the tan done later in the day enabling you to sleep in the tan which can then be washed off the next morning. This way you are less likely to disturb the tan by getting hot or coming into contact with water. It’s very important to stay cool to avoid sweating so the gym or any other physical sport will need to wait until the guide colour has been removed when you shower the next morning.
Q. Will the tanning solution stain the bedding or clothing?
A. You may find that some of the tanning solution comes off on bedding and clothing, however, it should wash out of most materials on a warm wash.
Q. If I use sunless tanning, will it streak or turn me orange?
A. Fake tanning has evolved endlessly since it first emerged on the market. Our products have been developed using modern, specialist technology which seeks to eliminate these issues.
Following our pre and post tanning guides will help ensure that you’ll be left with a natural sun-kissed look and long lasting results.
Q. How dark will the final colour be?
A. This depends on how you naturally tan. If you tan easily in the sun, the darker you will tan with sunless tanning products.
If you’d like a deep and dark sunless tan, apply a second application of your Sienna X tan 24 hours after the first application (allowing the first layer to develop)..
Q. Will my sunless tan last and how do I look after it?
A. Your tan will last between 5 and 7 days depending on your daily skincare regime and lifestyle. A sunless tan, just like a natural tan from the sun, fades as your skin sheds dead cells. The better you look after your tan, the longer it will last and the better the fade-off will be.
We recommend moisturising your skin with Sienna X’s Radiance Body Balm twice daily. The Sienna X award-winning Gradual Glowing Self Tan is a DHA rich moisturiser, which will help maximise the longevity of your tan.
Q. Can I use sunbeds or sunbathe with my Sienna X tanning products applied?
A. Yes, but remember that a sunless tan is a great alternative to using sunbeds or sunbathing.
If you choose to tan in the sun or on sunbeds, we recommend using SPF20 or higher when outdoors, to protect your skin from the sun